A Travellerspoint blog

Last Week at Sunrise of Life

This week has been a very busy week for us at the center. The week started out for us with three new kids coming to the center, two girls and a boy. Their aunt brought them to our center because she could no longer take of them, their two younger siblings, and her own two children in their one room mud house any more. The three of them fit in great with the other kids and we have been amazed to find out that they know some basic English and the few days that they have been around the volunteers they are learning even more English.

This week is also crunch time to get all of our building projects done before we leave on Tuesday! Of course our project manager, Stephen, hurt his back and could barely even move for a couple of days so, being the nice sister that I am I stepped up to be his assistant project manager. It ended up not being quite as easy as I thought it would be to put in the rest of the fence for the chicken coop, I ended up walking back and forth between the coop and the main house about 50 times to ask Stephen if I was doing everything the way that he envisioned and to make sure that everything was up to his standards. There were even a couple of times that he thought we had messed up something enough to have him hobble outside to check our work and make corrections before we could move on to the next step. In the end though everything turned great and we are almost ready to put the chickens into the coop.

Also this week, Stephen, Katie and I a went to Moshi, a town that is about an hour away from us by bus, to visit a few of the Sunrise kids at their boarding school. Two of the boys were home a couple of weeks ago on break so we were just going to say hi to them and then were going to check up on two other kids that had to stay at school because they were studying for their form 2 test . When we arrived at the boarding school we found out that visiting hours are only on the last Sunday of every month and the person at the entrance said we had to leave and come back the next day. However, Katie and Nama managed to talk her way through that issue saying that we had come so far and could not come back the next day so they allowed us to stay. So then, we had to wait even longer for the staff to call the headmaster to see if it was alright that kids could sit and visit with us for a couple of minutes…well two hours later we finally got to see them but only for about fifteen minutes.

While we were in Moshi visiting the boarding school, we also took one of the kids who will be going into form one next year to look at Uru Seminary School which he would like to go to. Uru Seminary is one of the top 10 secondary schools in Tanzania and all of their students are thinking about becoming priests. Kennedy is the top student at Maji Ya Chi Primary School and has started a religion study at the center for all of the kids who want to participate so we feel like this school is a good match for him. However, on our tour we found out that the application process for next year has already been completed and interviews for the candidates were being conducted so we thought there was no hope of getting him in there for next year. As the tour went on Katie kept asking if there was any possibility of getting him in or if there was a waiting list that he could be placed on and I think by the end of the tour Katie might have ended up getting Kennedy a newly created waiting list.
The other night I thought that it would be a really good idea to rotate ends of my bed because I have started to feel the bar from the frame right under my back and wanted to try sleeping the other way to see if it would be any better. Well, it turns out that I sleep with my arms too close to my mosquito net at night (but didn’t know it because the other end of my bed has a wall) and I woke up the next morning with literally a hundred mosquito bites covering my forearms and hands and no matter how much anti-itch cream I put on them they just won’t stop itching. I think I will be sleeping the other way from now on even if that means there is a bar under my back.

Tonight the volunteers who used SOKO Safari company to book their safari and their Kili climb are going to the owner’s house for a BBQ. The owner and her husband are interested in finding out more about or organization and meeting a few of our kids so the four girls are going to get to come along with us tonight too which will be a really fun treat for them. We are also hoping that we can somehow partner with them to be a resource for Sunrise of Life kids who want to study tourism and can maybe someday work with their company.
Next week on Tuesday Stephen, Katie and I will be leaving the center and the amazing Sunrise kids and will be starting the second half of our African Adventure in Zanzibar! Can’t wait for the beach but I am starting to get sad knowing that I am going to have to say goodbye to everything here.

Posted by kristen_george 00:33 Archived in Tanzania

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint